We all know that conventional toilet paper made from virgin tree pulp is not the best choice for the environment and can cause a lot of damage to the planet, from contributing to deforestation to adding to our ever-increasing waste problem when it comes to plastic.
A few months ago on the blog, we examined the pros and cons of bamboo toilet paper versus regular toilet paper, and bamboo toilet paper came out on top on almost every point, from using less water to creating fewer emissions.
However, what is better for the environment, bamboo or recycled toilet paper? We’ve put together a comparison to help you make the best choice.
Recycled toilet paper
What is recycled toilet paper? With more than 22 million Google results for just this question, it’s clear it’s a question on a lot of people’s minds. Firstly, recycled toilet paper is not actually made from previously used loo roll. It’s created from post-consumer recycled content (PCR) such as recycled office paper, old stationery and newspaper.
- Because recycled toilet paper is made from PCR, virgin trees and forests are not being wasted to create it. This reduces the harm to the world’s forests and decreases the amount of material going to landfill.
- It lessens the amount of materials and energy that goes into the whole manufacturing process. Producing recycled paper involves between 28 to 70 per cent less energy consumption than making virgin paper, and uses less water.
- Recycled toilet paper is generally quite affordable, with most supermarkets and large stores now stocking a wide range of recycled toilet paper brands, from basic ‘home brand’ styles to higher quality brands.
- It’s available as a bulk delivery, so you can buy it directly from eco-friendly bathroom product suppliers, who specialise in environmentally friendly products and practices, focus on creating the softest, strongest toilet paper possible, and deliver straight to your doorstep.
- Every time paper is recycled, it loses its strength and quality. It can only be recycled four to six times before the fibres get too short and weak.
Bamboo toilet paper
Bamboo toilet paper is made from bamboo - the fastest-growing plant on the planet. It’s soft, strong and sustainable, making it a great choice for the planet and your bum.
- Bamboo reaches its maximum height in just four months, making it the most renewable source of material available. It also takes up less space than trees, and uses no fertilisers or pesticides. Due to their versatility and renewability, bamboo products have a much smaller environmental impact compared with other toilet papers.
- Bamboo toilet paper has a lower impact on the planet, breaking down easily and naturally. Our Pure Planet Club bamboo toilet paper is RV and septic-safe, BPA-free, recyclable and biodegradable. Plus it’s vegan-friendly and cruelty-free.
- It takes around 37 gallons of water to make a single roll of conventional toilet paper made from virgin wood pulp. On the other hand, bamboo requires far less water than trees to grow. In fact, it is estimated that bamboo needs 30 per cent less water to grow compared with hardwood trees.
- Toilet paper created from bamboo releases approximately 30 per cent fewer greenhouse gases than toilet paper made from virgin wood pulp. This is just another reason why bamboo toilet roll, when responsibly sourced, is much more sustainable and eco-friendly than toilet toll made from virgin wood pulp.
- Generally, the production of bamboo products is almost exclusively done in Asia. This unfortunately means locally manufactured bamboo toilet paper options are not available.
Overall, both recycled toilet paper and bamboo toilet paper are definitely more eco-friendly than typical virgin paper toilet roll. If you’re on a budget, recycled toilet paper is a slightly cheaper choice, however if comfort and quality are of high importance to you, you probably won’t mind spending a little extra on bamboo toilet paper.
At Pure Planet Club we only stock plastic-free products. You can purchase a box of 36 rolls of our tree-free bamboo toilet paper as a one-off option, or you can also set up a handy subscription so your environmentally friendly eco toilet paper is delivered directly to your doorstep – plus you’ll get 10% off each carton. Just set and forget, all from the comfort of your home. We are always adding new products to our range too so watch this space and sign up for our newsletter to be first in the know. Watch out for our recycled toilet paper range coming soon too!